Thursday, June 10, 2004

Road Trip '04

Ok, so I'm on vacation with my family and kids in the mega-suv and was passing through southern Tennessee today (Did I mention this was a major road trip?), and we are suddenly stopped on the freeway (as in parking lot). We're about 4 miles from the last exit and can't turn around to go another way if we wanted to. Anyway, we start to look around at the others in our unfortunate position and besides the truckers, we seem to be in the middle of a college bash. I mean people from all different states and walks of life.

So we're thinking "What's up with this?", are we near a college town or what? It's not long before we notice a car with "Bonnoroo or Bust". So what's Bonnoroo? There's several thousand cars in this line with us and it's starting to give us the impression of some sort of WoodStock revival. Well, come to find out , sheesh that's what it is. We've been so out of touch I guess that we've never heard of this.

Oh well, had to go online at the hotel to find out what it was that kept us over an hour and a half off our schedule. Sounded pretty interesting if I were 10 yrs younger or maybe more plugged in to the latest music stuff. But I've got to say that one of the reasons I'm not plugged in to the latest would be that I can't find anything I like. It seems to be either too commercial (aka Brittany/Boy Band), or too bizzare/angry/bitter/sappy. But I guess most of it isn't even my interests.

Most of what I listen to is either Christian based, or instrumental. Not what you'd call "main-stream". Oh well. I think it'd be interesting to attend Bonnoroo or something like it, or at least to hear some of the stuff played there just to get a clue of what's out there to form an honest opinion. I imagine that some of those bands are truly trying to make a statement or difference and are not tied in to a corporate entity.

By the way, did I mention that a Yukon costs over $55 to fill at todays prices? I was the celebrity at the pump. The folks around me were amazed. If you see us on the road, wave.

Oh well, Ciao for now.

No comments: